Thursday, May 2, 2013

Switching It Up a Bit

Taking it slow now, living in the life of Sylus while he is at school and work instead of racing. Here's an excerpt of what I've got going on. Let me know what you think.


I headed off to work like I do every typical school day. It was the late lunch shift that then cycled into as the dinner shift. I pulled up to the employee parking and saw that the rest of the lot was empty except for like one possibly two car that were near the far end of the lot. I put on my staff shirt and walked in the front door to see Sandy standing behind the counter pouring coffee for an older man, while Jane- one of the waitresses- was clearing one of the tables.

“How was your first weekend of driving Hun?” Sandy asked as I approach the door that lead into the kitchen.

I turned over to her, “Let’s just say it’s an amazing feeling.” I smiled as I pushed the swinging door open. “Hey guys.” I said to Jeff an older guy that has literally been doing dishes here since the place opened; or at least I think.

“Hey Sy,” Jeff said as he closed the dishwasher to run another rack of dishes.

“How’s the car running?” asked Carl the other owner and head cook.

“Like a top.” I grabbed my apron off of the rack and positioned myself at the giant fryerlators and checked to see what I needed to have ready before any customers came in. I had four baskets that I dipped into the hot oil. The freezers was to my right incase I needed any fries, chicken tenders, or whatever else people ordered. Jane came walking in with some dishes and set them by Jeff. She was one of the just got out of college and is working just to have enough money to pay for her apartment. “Wow Sylus, that car is pretty sharp looking.” She was another one of those girls that also liked to flirt with me.

“Oh, thanks Jane. It’s fast too.”

“I bet it is,” she placed her hand on my shoulder then slowly ran it down my arm as she headed back to the door.

“Sylus, you remind me of myself when I was your age.” Carl said while chopping up some lettuce.

I grabbed a handful of fries and put them in one of the baskets and dumped them in the oil. “Why’s that?”

“Are you joking right now?” He looked up at me and stared.

“Ummm, no.” I shook the basket around.

“You have all these girls flirting with you, just like I did.”

“Yeah but you must’ve flirted back huh?”

He started slicing tomatoes, “I sure did. Why don’t you?”

“Waiting for the right one. You know?” I shook the basket again.

“Uh huh, I know what you mean. How long are you willing to wait.”

I pulled the fries out of the hot oil and let them cool before putting them in a basket. “As long as I need to until I find the right one.” I looked over at Jeff, who by this time had finished the dishes and was starting to wash off his area. “How long did it take you to find the right one Jeff.”

He turned around and smiled, “Ten years after high school just after I had gotten back from the war. That’s when I found the one right for me, but no one was as flirty back then as you are now.”

“They’re a lot better looking though now,” Carl chimed in, followed by a few snickers. I couldn’t help but snicker along with him.

2 comments:

  1. Great to get details of your character's life outside of racing. Don't have Sylus draw attention to the flirting, you have already shown us, you don't need to tell us. I think his coworkers might be able to give him a hard time without talking about flirting, like, "ooh she has the hots for you..." instead of "she's flirting with you..." Make sense? Look forward to seeing where this is going next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. o ok sounds good thank u on the "hots for u" and stuff

    ReplyDelete